Thursday, October 8, 2015

HIDDEN TREASURES........

I have always believed that there is good to come from most any diversity. It may take a hell of a lot of reflection....searching....stomping of the feet and flailing of the hands, but in time, it usually shows itself when we are receptive.

As my walk on the Via Francigena is on temporary hold as I rest the ribs from Sunday's fall, my travels have brought me to the hamlet of Colonnata in the Italian Apuan Alps.
Colonatta sits at the base of some of the finest of Carrara's marble mounts.
Dated to 60 BC, this hamlet has always been home to quarry workers.   First the slaves of the Romans when they began hauling marble columns from these hills.... Now to the workers who fill orders for Carrara marble around the world.
While most visitors to the area will stay in Carrara, the idea of being high in the hills In a forgotten hamlet of 600 inhabitants intrigued me.  

Greeted at the rail station in Massa by my host, Mario, we drove up steep narrow  winding roads....our horn honking at each curve to warn oncoming drivers of our presence. Hills the vibrant greens of the  Hawaiian Islands surrounded me as we climbed into the grey misty clouds. Once at the B&B Mario and his team served me a luncheon of perfectly grilled steak and chilled white wine before  I was even asked for a passport! Wonderfully civilized!

Colonnata, along with being at the base of the quarries Michelangelo favored, is renowned for its Lardo d Colonnata.  A type of saumi made of rosemary seasoned pig fat, Lardo is ranked as one of the fine delicacies of the world.The fat, once seasoned, is cured in Carraran marble containers. Pigs raised on the acorns and chestnuts prolific  in the area, produce the finest in this silky white gastronomic delight.

http://www.academiabarilla.com/the-italian-food-academy/meats-charcuterie/lardo-colonnata.aspx

Once I have sampled some this evening I will let you know ;-)

Most remarkable, however, is that while wandering the edge of town...getting in  slow easy walk ...I noticed the red and white striped markers of the Via Francigena.  Nowhere on my maps had I seen routes through this area.  Now, after some research, I have learned that my fall on the VIa Francigena  just outside Ponte d Arbia  has brought me to a most remarkable crossing of the Francigena Apuan.   And so, although I will not walk this stretch, I still feel connected to the Via Francigena as I wait out the sore ribs.

Tonight Lardo d Colonnata.......tomorrow?  We shall see!

B&B Cava di Terzo in Colonnata









No comments:

Post a Comment