Monday, October 12, 2015

ACCOMODATIONS.........

Hi all!   My path alongside Via Francigena has certainly not been as I had planned!  One week in and I land flat in the mud after a LONG day of rain and muck!  
Ha! Fancy that.....the Universe steps in and plans change.....methods of transport change.....yet, it all falls into a  Beautiful patchwork and the experience remains amazing, unique and transformative.

As " Walking Woman" ( www.walkingwomanwalkingwithkate.blogspot.com)  I have been tracking my experience in blog and photos for friends, family and other walkers on many different FB pages.  Once back to the States in late October I Will buckle down and write the manuscript I have been prepping regarding my time, and growth, along the Camino Santiago de Compostela in the fall of 2014. "Soul Trek" will be published in 2016.
But for now, for those who have asked about accommodations on this current trek, I am sharing the following......esp. For you Sheila Niemi :-)

Lucca........   B&B Centro Passi Dalle Mura....reasonable, just outside city gate along the VF

Altopascio... Hotel Astoria......tired, basic.....along the VF as you leave Altopascio

San Miniato (Basso)...... Albergue Elio...... Too tired to care :-).  Probably a tad expensive.....

Gambassi Termi...Ostello Sigiric ( Santa Maria d Chiani). ..... Lovely! Private room and bath, rate was reasonable....tour of church after dinner was brilliant

San Gimignano.....Hostel Aladina.....more a B&B.... Right near exit gates on VF....reasonable.....

Strove......    Relais Castel Bigozzi.... ha!!!!! No, I did not book here but was " gifted" this room by Casalita, in town, which I had booked.  They were closed for the night I needed and made arrangements for me up the hill at this amazing hotel for the same rate!  Impressed!!!!!!

Monteriggioni......B&B in Piazza.   Wonderful experience although too expensive. Frederica was the consummate hostess......a wet and windy day in Monteriggioni was lovely!

Sienna.......two nights......Porta Piscini Hotel ( apt. With a kitchen) great value, easy access to the old town .....this hotel,sits just outside the city gates and by following the main road in front of the hotel I was on the VF easily.

Ponte d Arbia........Affittacamere Martelli.   Hostess Chantel, was wonderful.  Stayed here for two nights as coming into town was the day I fell.   Amazing history in this town!   Reasonable rates, extra service....I was her first American guest!  :-)

Colonnata/Cassette......B&B la Cava di Terzo.....three nights in the Carrara region....taking it easy. Exceptional service!!!!  NOT on the VF direct path, BUT, since I was sidelined for a few days, was a wonderful experience.

Zepponami/Montefiascone....B&B Pepe Rosso.......hostess Anastaya was a Delight. NOT on the VF, but, again, a cost effective room with access to a shared kitchen for a couple of nights. Also, not a true B&B

Montefalcione.......Hotel Lombardi.....on the VF just outside city gates coming into old town.....rates reasonable....location superb


And now......time for lunch and tomorrow, onward and upward to Viterbo!






2 comments:

  1. What's your definition of reasonable vs expensive? These terms can be relative and mean different things to different people (i, for example, have a low threshold for 'reasonable'!). Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! As I was staying in small hotels and BAnd B's, reasonable for me came in at €20 per person in a double.... Hope that helps. I apologize for the delay in catching this question Andrea. :-)

    ReplyDelete