Sunday, April 12, 2015

PRACTICALITIES.....

With my West Highlands Way ( Scotland) walk on the horizon, it is  time to go through my pack and make my shopping list ( always some new things needed). After all, my clothes have been through about 650 miles of hot,sweaty walking in the last few months.  Yep, time for a couple new tee shirts I'd say :-)
And, since I have been asked on several occasions what I take ,and how it has worked for me, I thought this might be a perfect time to share my packing list...so here goes:

1    backpack.                     Deuter Ladies 45+10
1.   set of hiking poles.        Black Diamond ( spare tip covers also)
1.   pair boots.                     Lowa Renegade. ( LOVE these)
1.    Windproof/waterproof
     Jacket.                           Northface
1.   Polar Tec 100 fleece.      Northface
1.    Lightweight poncho 
      pack cover style.           REI
1.    Pair lightweight shoes for after walking and 1 pair flip flops for showers
2.   Convertible walking  Pants      Trangworld 
2.   Quick dry short sleeved
    Tee shirts.                        Eddie Bauer
1.   Long sleeve quick dry
    Tee shirt.                          Patagonia

1.   Long sleeve shirt
    ( a tad dressier for day-   REI
      end)
1.     Walking skirt                 REI ( so great in warmer climates)
2      REI lightweight wool socks( pair),  liner socks, sports bras
3      Undies                        

1.     Lightweight leggings for extra warmth
1.     Quick dry towel.               REI
1.     Lightweight bed sack ( hostels,albuegues etc. this is essential)
1      BUFF, windproof/water resistant gloves, 1 baseball style cap
1.     Polarized sunglasses and any glasses/ readers needed
1.    Medical zip lock bag: any needed medications, aspirin or ibuprofen, band aids or            moleskin,ANTISEPTIC wipes( the little ones with alcohol...I swear they kept my blisters in check) small nail scissors
1.    Sunblock - I carry a Neutrogena 50 stick - lightweight and works great



1.    Personal sundry bag w/ lightweight soap bar used for everything, mascara and a 
lipstick (  'cause I am a GIRL after all....even if dirty and sweaty,mildly blistered and tired- still a girl )
1.    Headlamp ( one with a red light option is great when in adorm setting so not as to disturb others)
1.    Small utility knife .... CORKSCREW if you wish to be the heroine of the day!
6-8  Large safety pins. ... Great for hanging clothes and emergencies
1.    Pair  spare boot laces...... Make GREAT impromptu clothes lines and poncho waist belts when the wind whips
1     Small pack to wear on your waist for Easy access of daily needs on the path : cash,passport (make a small laminated copy of original) sunblock,camera/phone
1     Small bag with needed chargers for electronics

Cash ( I carry about $ 200 ), credit card, debit card ( make sure banks know where you are traveling),Passport, health insurance card
1.    Mini iPad , 1 small Nikon pocket camera , 1 cell phone

When my bag is loaded and I am wearing a complete outfit ( sans outer wear ), my pack weighs in at 18 lbs. ( water and snacks included- I carry about a liter and refill at every fountain/ stop)

This list was perfect for the Camino Frances as well as the W Trek In Southern Chile and El Chaltan in Argentina.  Now it will see me through the West Highland Way in Scotland and the Via Francigenia pilgrimage walk - Canterbury, England to Rome!
HAPPY WALKING!




Kate's iPad...Follow me!
Www.walkingwomanwalkingwithkate.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Walking-Woman/1618871171680497?fref=nf


https://www.facebook.com/pages/Walking-Woman/1618871171680497?fref




No comments:

Post a Comment