Thursday, April 9, 2015

Nightclub Barbie

.
  Perhaps one of the most treasured  aspects of walking the Camino Frances is the amazingly warm and wonderful fellow pilgrims who become part of your daily life; 24/7 in some cases.  And with that comes a sharing and openness often saved  only for lifetime friends.  Here it becomes simple to start chatting and find yourself in a sort of open confessional, often with complete strangers.  They take a turn, you take a turn....it feels normal.  It feels safe.
And, then there are the stretches of time when the crazy silly antics of youth come racing back and the telling and sharing  of these stories has listener and storyteller alike bent over their walking poles while the tears flow and laughter echos loud.  Pure joy!

When I was about 11 we had moved to a house with a grand walk-in closet in the bedroom I shared with my three sisters.  I 'm sure if I saw it now I would giggle, but at the time it seemed immense.  Of course it was not really a walk -in closet - it was a nightclub where my gorgeous, talented,svelte
Barbie was star of the show!  She was a red -headed Barbie which made her all the more dear to my strawberry -blonde 11 year old self.  And SHE could sing!  She sang Mary Hopkins , Bobby Sherman, Dionne Warwick....if it was a hit in 1968 she sang it!
And her dedicated audience, my sister Annie and her Barbies, paid homage to red -headed Barbie's outstanding talents.

Working her shoebox stage, Barbie was striking in open -toed royal blue heels tucked under the full white satin skirt of her nightclub gown. She looked right out of an MGM movie set.  Tight blue bodice, waist cinched, the  glittered skirt flowed around her as she twirled and danced.
And not only did she look stunning, that girl could  sing and she just knew her audience went wild as she  belted lyric after lyric." Do you know the waaaayyyyyyy to San Jose?  I'm going back someday, I'm afraid I'll lose my way..."
" THOOOOOOOSSE were the DAAAAYYSSS my friend, we thought they'd never end, we'd sing and dance........" ( you can just hear her, right?)
Cheering from the crowd...CLAP....CLAP....CLAP.!

Annie was on her knees, audience gathered In her arms , as she scooted quickly to the door.
"NO! Don't leave....I have an encore!" Barbie hasn't sang enough yet, her set had just begun after all.
Patient Annie and audience sit back down.

The spotlight returns ( I have access to the cord dangling low from the ceiling)
" Julie, Julie Juuuuuuliiiieeeeee do Ya love me? Julie, Julie Juuuuuulieeeee do ya care?"
Okay, so Barbie , at 11, wasn't all to keen into which lyrics suited her.....she just sang 'em all. LOUD !
 But the crowd plays their role beautifully.  WHISTLE,  CHEER.... CLAP ..CLAP ...CLAP.... And then silence.

The door swishes open as Annie and audience make their escape this time. Barbie takes her bows under the glow of  her bare bulb spotlight.

She settles back into her shoebox stage.... It doubles as a dressing room of course.  Maybe with a little bribery and coaxing she can win back the audience in an hour or two.  Maybe.....

( Dedicated  to my beautiful sister,Annie, whose patience and love as my Barbie sang her heart out gave me confidence ....I will be forever grateful my sweet sister)


No comments:

Post a Comment