Monday, June 13, 2016

HIKING EL CHALTEN





Awestruck, I am filled with an overwhelming sense of gratitude for such a blessing.  Settling onto a craggy boulder seat to bear witness, the concept of time becomes non existent as I find myself fully engaged with the glory of nature surrounding me.  Twittering birds rustle leaves on the trees as they light.  Azure waters of the lagoon lap the pebbles on the beach...swish...swish. Breezes blowing ever so lightly catch a bough above my head ...creeeak….almost imperceptible.  I am completely connected to the earth and sky.  The energies of this sacred land buzz through me - my very being amplified as I sit one with the Universe.
Voices, laughing, break the silence; sever the serenity as they approach the mirador. A last glimpse skyward, for now, as I stand to gather daypack and trekking poles. A glance at my watch confirms it is time  to head back toward town and on to Cochilla de Salta, an easy 7 kilometer circuit once I reach the base of today's’ earlier climb.
Chorillo del Salto, direct translation ‘trickle jump’  which I reach at about 4 PM, looks crowded with other walkers. An easy hike, most here have wandered the final kilometer to the falls from a carpark just off the gravel one lane road.  Part of the local national Park system, this hike is renowned and draws many on this sunny summer February day.
Rounding a final bend, the hidden 20 foot falls spill before me into a shallow transparent pool. Water's sparkle, so clear each underlying pebble can be counted,each earth tone glistening in the late afternoon sun. And silence. At least 50 others are settled on rocks to the perimeter and below the falls. Voices are non existent.  Faces gaze in wonder at the beauty surrounding us - tilted toward a warm embracing sun.  Water crashing to the pool below is the only sound and it is heavenly.

 I step gingerly over boulders in the pool, claiming an empty rock directly facing this magnificent sight. Sun beating on my shoulders, off come my boots and socks - toes free to test the water temperature. Hot feet ,now cooled. Glorious.  A brief look around and I see others dangling legs, up to their knees, in the refreshing waters.  Sandwiches and snacks are being munched, water guzzled in the late afternoon heat.  I too take advantage of another of Patagonia's magical locales, cooling my Nestea bottle in these mountain waters before taking that first awaited sip. Life does not get better! Here is heaven.




....excerpt from PATAGONIA: the Camino Home - A Camino of the Soul Book #2 due out later this summer

No comments:

Post a Comment