Friday, August 12, 2016

GET STILL AND LISTEN......




                                         



In Camino circles it is said by many that the true camino begins once the decision to walk is made.  And then, there are those that focus on what comes at the end of the walk, proclaiming that true Camino begins after the physical walk: the physical, mental and emotional toll faced while on the trail..that one's true Camino begins with what is learned and transported back to daily life.

If either of these are true,and I believe the Camino begins at the ‘ ahaa’ moment of calling to walk and continues through the transformative growth cycle which plays out upon completion of the journey, then I have been ‘ camino-ing’ for 5 years now.

Five years ago this summer I knew I would walk my first Camino. No question, no doubt.  And it happened in Sept. 2014 - quite the wait.  Since then, other walks have called and I have gone.  Emotional growth, a sense of peace and a learning to completely forgive have moved me forward in these last two years; out in the open air...doing what I do... walking pilgrimage paths.

A Camino along the Via Francigena last year, with a walking partner, brought me to an understanding that I truly need only myself to be happy.  Do I want other company? Of course, most of us do. Do I need other company, no.  I am complete in and of myself.

So why has this next walk- a walk I know I am destined to make- been such a challenge?
Decisions on where to start, to walk alone or with others at the start, trying to understand
the periods of ambivalence I have felt in these last weeks... all have brought me to question if, in fact, I am listening carefully enough...am I aware...receptive...accepting of the what the Universe is telling me? Have I gone into ' manager' mode?

And, as soon as I let go-- as soon as I quit trying to manage the flow and understand the whys-- a clarity comes.  THIS Camino is the culmination of the last two years of walking, sharing, growing.  This upcoming Camino is about 100% trust  that all I need to know will show itself at just the right moment. It is not mine to figure it out the whys and hows - know the answers- yet.
It is my job to get silent and listen for the next right move...make that move. And then listen for the next move...and make just that move..step at a time... one move at a time.

My upcoming walk in Portugal is my walk into purpose.  Yes, walking and writing have been the beginning, the first act in a much greater, still unfolding show, this much I do know.
Something magical is about to unfold.  How do I know?  Because my soul knows I am to walk.  Because the sense of peace and calm which enveloped me as soon as I locked onto the city of Coimbra as my starting point has been overwhelming… gripping.  
Because I got excited again- all ambivalence tossed by the wayside.

And so, I am off!  Day by day- one day at a time- watch, listen, hear what is being shared.
I Am aware… I AM receptive… I AM accepting.

2 comments:

  1. Very inspirational Kate, thank you! Oh that manager mode...I feel you...Buen Camino and may the manager become a follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Luisa -- yes, that ol' manager thing we let take control....letting it go...again :-)

      Delete